Thursday, March 1, 2012

Cowgirl in progress

Here is a carving that I have started. I have wanted to do this one for some time and finally got enough stuff completed to start on it a couple of weeks ago. I am a big fan of Lynn Doughty and have been influenced by his methods and style of carving in many ways. He mentioned that he had been influenced by Harold Enlow, who has taught and influenced many other carvers. Since I may never have an opportunity to study with Harold (even though he lives in Arkansas!), I purchased several of his earlier books, and this carving is influenced some by his style of carving. This is a young lady, probably not even a teen, who will have braces and will be in some fancy cowboy duds. I have been doing a lot of cowboy boots lately, probably because of Harold and Lynn! And she will be leading a surprise animal caricature, perhaps into the show ring at the state fair. I always like it when they start looking like I imagined them! Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment