Sunday, March 6, 2011

Leftovers

I have little odds and ends laying around my garage….things that i carved for practice, bits and pieces started or just carved for fun, things that haven’t quite simmered enough, or were intended just as proof of concepts. Leftovers, of a sorts. The head on this guy was started just as something to do when I was at a carving club meeting several months back. It was just something to whittle on and I was showing a guy what you could do with a plain old utility knife, a fixed blade box-cutter. Over the months, I have kept messing with it. I wanted to practice ears and to really exagerate the nose to accentuate the cariacature aspects….I think some of my work that I intended as caricatures sometimes has too much of a realistic appearance, not enough humor. Then I tried a new technique I saw for doint eyes. This evolved into a basketball player, kinda Charles Barkley-like, then it started looking like a guy I used to work with! I finally decided I wanted to do something new, at least for me. I have did a few cowboys, so I was wanting to try a Native American caricature. I haven’t seen many carvings with Mohawks, so I thought i would give that a try.
I wanted to work a bit on anatomy and muscalature, so he will probably be shirtless, maybe with a bear-claw necklace or chestplate or something added. I think he will be posed with a spear in one hand, probably doing some type of dance? I am debating whether to try and animate him so that he may actually dance or just have him posed? I may just be looking for something easy….more fun rather than something complex!

No comments:

Post a Comment